Saturday, January 26, 2013

Water, water, everywhere...

Enough cannot be said about hydration.

If you run, you need to drink water. Plain and simple. Good rule of thumb... If you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

So how do you prevent this?

Carry water on your run. Some will need to drink constantly, depending on effort and heat. I meter my water out so I drink approximately 2 ounces of water every mile I run. I start at the 2 mile mark and drink about 4 ounces in one go. That's usually where* the water station is located in a typical 5K run. I then continue with 2 ounce sips every mile marker.

Is that enough water? Probably not, but it's enough to keep me going till I make it to the finish.

I know on certain days, when the humidity is up at 100% (welcome to running in Florida) my body requires a whole hell of a lot more water. Other days, not do much. It's not a science. It's an art to find the proper balance that works for you.

But whatever you do, don't head out the door without some form of liquid refreshment. You're welcome.

*Some 5K runs place the water station at the halfway mark, but most tend to push it closer to the 2 mile marker in my experience... which is admittedly limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment