Thursday, January 3, 2013

Eat the banana.

When I first started this endeavor, I realized I had a lot to learn. I wasn't naive enough to believe that running would be as simple as lacing up some bargain bin kicks and heading out the door. If it was that simple there would not be a need for coaches, and the like, right?

So I did what every armchair athlete would: I went to google and discovered this whole underground running culture. Well, it was underground to me at least...

Turns out "a lot to learn" was the understatement of a lifetime.

I had to learn about proper shoes for different running surfaces, I had to learn if I over or under pronated, I had to learn about pacing, distances, nutrition, hydration, race etiquette and countless other things. It was all very scientific; measurable, reproducible and dry.

I started to feel a little overwhelmed so I decided to take a different route. Once I got a small amount of knowledge I started to speak to actual runners. I'm talking about runners who've run official races and such. Their advice was the polar opposite. It was very common sense stuff and the advice differed from person to person. From brand of shoe, to type of race day gear, to diet.

I discovered that I just had to try a bit of everything to see what worked for me. It was the shotgun approach, but it worked and still works. I keep adapting as I continue my journey to improve. I try a new type of shoe, like it better and stick with it until its time for a replacement. Then I try something else. If it works better good, if not I go back to my old brand. Same goes for gear, food, apps, etc.

Now that I've got over a year of running and fumbling under my belt I find new runners asking me for advice as they start their own journey. What I usually tell them is the one constant piece of advice I received from every source, and the one that has proven itself to be true time and time again:

Eat the banana.

When you're done with your run, eat a banana.

When you hit the snack table at the finish of a race, choose and eat the banana.

I can provide you with the scientific reasons why you'll need the potassium, but all you really need to know is that it's a low calorie, filling snack that will give you quick energy and help your legs not hurt the next day.

So ya, just eat the banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment