Monday, February 11, 2013

Set backs.

I must sound like a broken record at times.

"Running is not a science; it's an art."

That doesn't make it less true, it just makes it repetitive.

When I say that, what I mean to say is that there is no one way to approach the sport, nor is there a magic equation that will solve the "problem," whatever that "problem" may be.

When I started, I tried to make running logical. I wrote out a plan, followed a schedule, and subsequently berated myself if I failed to keep up. I *had* to be up to so many miles or at a certain pace by the arbitrary date I set for myself. Anything less than perfection was a reflection of my character.

I was taking what little joy I derived out of the torturous sport of running and I was converting it into a chore.

After I ran a few 5Ks, and I managed to achieve a pace that would prevent being swept off course, I relaxed. I found the joy in running. I found the peace of a long solo run. I found fulfillment in being tired earlier in the morning than most people are awake.

But this period was but a short reprieve.

I'm back to plans, schedules and dread.

I know mentally this is wrong. I should just be having fun out there, but all I can think is, "I've already run 10 miles. I just need to go another 3.1 and I'm half-marathoning."

I'm so close, that every time I go out and fail to go the distance due to pain, injury, illness, heat, cold, dehydration, or whathaveyou, I can't help but beat myself up.

Unfortunately there is no solution to this. It's easy to say, "Blow it off." But I'm rather pigheaded. I will run 13.1 miles or die trying... I just wish I could have some fun on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment