Wednesday, May 29, 2013

You're a runner?!

When I first tell people that I am a recreational runner, I usually get the stupefied goldfish look in return.

"You run?!"

Yes, I run. 

I know I don't have the traditional runner's physique. I'm not lean, or aerodynamic to say the least. I carry much more weight on my frame than is necessary. In short, I am fat.

That's where running comes in for me. I run in order to manage my weight and hopefully that will lead to sustained weight loss. It's working, too. It just takes a while. I don't mind, however, as gradual weight loss still counts.

But I digress.

I find it humorous to see the different expressions cross the faces of those folks who've discovered that the rare and oft undocumented creature known as "The Fat Runner" not only exists, but is now standing in front of them.

Runners come in all shapes and sizes. We come in all age varieties, racial make-ups, and socio-economic backgrounds. Yet on the track, or race course, we're all equal regardless of our pace.

Yes, I'm a runner.

Why aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment